Foster Care Alumni Frequently Asked Questions

Expand All Content
  • Applying to Texas State

    • This website, part of the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, is a good place to start. There, you will find information for prospective Freshman and Transfer students including how to apply, a list of frequently asked questions, Admission Forms, Application Status Check, Orientation information, and contact information.

      Please do not hesitate to contact Retention Management & Planning if we can help you get started. Our phone number is (512) 245-5500 and our email address is

    • Go to this website: ApplyTexas. You will need to create an account to fill out the application. Click on the "Create your account now" link under the "Get Started" section. After creating an account, you can fill out the application. Be sure to keep track of your login information so that you can access your application later.

      You DO NOT have to pay the application fee. However, you MUST fax a letter from your CPS agent stating that you were in foster care in order to have the application fee waived. Once you have obtained a letter from CPS, fax it to the Admissions Office at (512) 245-9020.

    • You must apply for an Education Training Voucher (ETV) from the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services. The ETV provides grants for postsecondary education and training to eligible youth who are in or age out of foster care, or who are adopted from foster care after turning 16 years old. The ETV helps pay for residential housing, room and board costs/food, tuition and fees, personal items, books and school supplies, child care, some transportation needs, computer or other required equipment, and medical insurance through school. Go to this website for information about eligibility requirements, application to apply for ETV, frequently asked questions about ETV, and contact information.

      Every year, you must fill out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid, also known as FAFSA. Through the FAFSA you can apply for grants and work-study.

      Another option is to apply for scholarships. There are many scholarships offered through Texas State, and there are scholarships that are available to foster youth.

      Please read this document for more information about paying for college.

  • Foster Care Status

    • Obtain documentation from the Department of Protective and Regulatory Services and present to the Texas State Cashier's Office, in J.C. Kellam Building, Rm. 188. Their phone number is (512) 245-2480.
    • Students who are eligible get certain fees waived, such as tuition and some required fees, and you are eligible to apply for competitive scholarships to help with other costs.

  • Financial Support

  • Adjusting to College

    • The Bobcat Bond Program is a very good place to start. This program pairs incoming freshmen and transfer students with staff, faculty, and peer/student mentors. A mentor is someone who is familiar with Texas State and can help acclimate you to the campus. He or she will periodically meet with you to answer any questions you may have and help you find necessary resources. Go to the website to apply to be a mentee.

      Another option is to join a student organization. Once on the Student Organizations website, click on the "Search registered orgs" link to browse over 200 student organizations. If you don't find one that suits you, click on the "Start an organization" link to find out how to start a student organization.

If you have a question not listed on this page, chances are that others also have that question and would benefit from having it listed here. Please email your question to the FACES team at